In preparation for a field trip to the National Air and Space Museum with my little buddy I made the above Pilot Hat and Goggles. The original pattern was made without a lining and my crafty self decided to adapt the pattern a little.
Click links for the free patterns from Parent Magazine
Pilot Hat Supplies:
- 1/4 of yard of Brown Fleece
- 1/4 of yard of Black Fabric
- Cut hat out of the brown fleece and black fabric.
- Place the brown fleece right sides together and sew the center seam of the hat.
- Place the black fabric right sides together and sew the center seam of the hat.
- Take the brown fleece and black fabric and put it right sides together.
- Pin the hat together leaving a gap at the base of the neck so you can turn the hat right side out.
- Sew around the hat leaving the gap open.
- Turn the hat right side out.
- Iron or finger press the seams flat.
- Fold in the unsewn edges of the gap.
- Top stitch around the entire hat
Although I love the look of my googles, I suggest using foam per the pattern instructions. The felt and vinyl are hard to work with on such a small item. Blame it on my sewing skills but I promise you it’s not worth the headache.